Well doesn’t this feel strange! I feel like I’m sneaking around someone else’s house, but no this is my little neglected corner of the internet and I thought it was high time I came back!
I never intended to neglect the blog, it just kind of happened as a side affect of setting up my YouTube channel. I kind of felt like I could do one or the other and YouTube took preference last year. I have to say I absolutely love recording my vlogs and interacting with the YouTube community, plus I feel like it gives a different dimension to my sewing, as it’s as close as I can get to showing my makes “in real life”. Despite all that though I have actually missed this little blog and feel it’s a great place to talk about individual makes in more detail. I also happened to check my stats the other day and was shocked to see people still appear to be coming over here despite the lack of new content, so I feel I owe it to you lovely lot to keep this a bit more updated!
I thought I’d start with some recent pattern testing I’ve done. I was delighted to pattern test the new Julia Top from Sew Me Something. I hadn’t pattern tested before and I really enjoyed feeling like I was helping a great independent sewing brand a little bit.
The Julia top is a loose fitting top designed for stretch fabrics such as jersey, ponte or sweatshirting and has two neck options as well as integrated pockets.
I was very intrigued by the pattern piece at the front, as it folds up into itself to create the integrated pockets, which I’d never seen before. I liked the Ah ha moment I had when I saw how it would all come together! The only downside to this is it does mean the pattern is quite fabric hungry as the front piece is very long, that being said I had less than the required 2m of this pretty cream and black floral ponte and I managed to get the funnel neck version out of it no problem.
The pattern came together really quickly, less than an hour from cutting out to finishing and the instructions were really clear and easy to follow. I made the whole thing on my overlocker but you might want to use your sewing machine first on the pocket seams, as the instructions tell you, as it is a little tricky to go round corners on the overlocker but I was feeling reckless and thankfully managed it!
I chose to make the funnel neck version as I thought it fitted well with the whole cosy vibe of the pattern. As I used a drapey ponte it is a softer cowl look, whereas I have seen it made up in sweatshirting with the funnel neck standing up which I do also like.
I was pleased with how quickly and easily the pattern came together and finished the hem and cuffs with my twin needle. The finished silhouette is quite different to my usual style which I prefer to be more fitted. I have reached for it more than I expected when I’ve wanted to feel really comfy but still look nice.
As I was testing I made the size for my measurements which came out between a 14/16. As it was such a loose fitting style I went for the 14, but if I make it again, which I’m tempted to do with some pink sweatshirting I have, I’ll size down a bit more and lengthen it ever so slightly.
So there you go, it feels good to be back! Let me know what you think of the Julia top and I’ll be back again soon….